Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Way Back Wednesday- Family Picture Day!

Since the season of Family Holiday Pictures is upon us (ok, well it is upon me, many of you haven't even begun to think about it at all). I thought it would be a good topic for Way Back Wednesday. Ever since we had children Marc has been a big proponent of sending out a family picture NOT just a picture of the kids. We have friends all over the country, even the world. There is a good chance we may never meet some of these children, and in Marc's words- "I don't really care what their children look like, I want to know what my friend looks like now" For the record, I care what their children look like, but I understand his perspective.

So here is my retrospective. We start in 2001, the year Jessica was born. This picture was taken by Kelly in our backyard with out digital video camera.

2002: This picture was taken by the Picture People- we scanned it in, copyright schmoppyright.

2003: Along comes Justin. This year we decided to get together with the Cooks and Odells and do our first official Family Picture Day. We met at the Cooks house and took turns taking pictures of each others families. Then we went inside, looked at the pics on the TV and ate pizza [I believe- gasp!- Emily was still using a film camera at this time].

2004: Family Picture Day again at the Cooks house.

2005: This was our first year going to the Outer Banks and we decided to incorporate Family Picture Day into the vacation- thus getting the obligatory picture out of the way before the holiday crush begins. That has been the tradition ever since. I had originally chosen a green theme for our pictures, but hated the way the pics came out so we grabbed the clothes off the Cook Family's back used them instead- much nicer.

2006: Since the blues worked so well we did it again!

I think this was the picture we used on our card.
2007: We went with white this year. Couldn't find the pic this morning but here is the card we sent out.

We also did a second card and sent that one out as well.
2008: It was very windy this year so we couldn't go down by the surf or we would all have looked pretty crazy- so it was our first dune picture. Went back to the navy.

2009: Ok, I am not going to show you our official pic from this year- instead you get a reject one. Can't exactly send out a pic with Justin grabbing his crotch :) Tried something new for colors, but I think I may be going back to navy again next year- is it wrong if we are wearing the same thing every year?

5 comments:

michelled said...

So cool! I loved 2006 with sunglasses and also the Peace on Earth card. Just wondering what was up with the lipstick in 2003? :)

Kelly H. said...

Wow, that first year wasn't even in focus, sorry!!

manj said...

So fun to look at these. Thanks for posting them. I think there were a few years when the card never made it to Germany (ahem) so it was really nice to see them all at once. I hope I haven't just disqualified myself from receiving this year's card...;-)

Mrs. Cook said...

Ah memories...oh and I believe there is still film in that old camera!! Can't believe what we had to go through back in the day..

Jen said...

I'm with Michelle - what was up with the lipstick??