Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Big Post about our Big Day at the Big E

I took the kids to the Big E yesterday. I don't like to go on a weekend for many reasons, the biggest being the crowds. The second being the cost. On Monday- Thursday you can buy an all you can ride pass for the rides rather than paying per ticket per ride. This way I let Justin go through the lame fun house 7 times in a row, since there is no wait, without watching $14 go down the drain.

It was a last minute decision to go. I realized I could only go yesterday or next Mon or Tue. Since I knew the weather was ok yesterday I called the school and said I was picking up Jessica at 1:00. She had the most skeptical look on her face when I arrived. Add to that the fact that she was missing gym and she was less than thrilled at my arrival. Luckily the news of the Big E wiped that frown off her face.

Now, did Marc go, you ask? Well last year he went for the first time. It was in the 90s, he was in his work clothes, Justin had a total meltdown when he wasn't tall enough for one of the rides and could not be consoled or redirected, and it was crowded. As far as Marc is concerned he has been to the Big E for the last time. So the three of us went off.

We were having a great time. Jessica was being a trooper about going on the kiddie rides with Justin and Justin was fine with Jessica going on the scarier rides and just waving to her from the sidelines. As we were heading out to go see some farm animals we ran into the D Family! This is especially amusing because we ran into them last year when we all snuck out early to go to the Big E. Soon after we decided the Big E was more fun when we were with our friends. So between the 3 adults we divided the 6 kids up pretty well. Justin and Luke were in heaven going on the same rides together over and over and over. Jessica was thrilled that the other boys would go on the crazy mouse ride with her and she happily followed them onto any ride they went on. Chris bought me a beer- what more could I ask? Too bad for them they could not shake us, and I swear I tried, but Jessica made it clear she was staying with them even if I went a different way. She was in her glory and not giving that up.

My highlight was taking Jessica and 3 boys on the big Ferris Wheel, Justin happily waving from the ground. All 4 of them decided to sit on one side of the gondola (what do you call those things?) and I sat on the other. After our second trip around as we passed the workers on the bottom one of them said to the kids, "better hold on tight, it is going to flip now". I didn't hear him- I was waving to my fans- but suddenly all 4 kids grab the pole in the middle for dear life and look at me with panicked eyes. Seriously- the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I was laughing so hard I couldn't assuage their fears until we were at the top. At that point they realized they had been duped.

Lots of fair food later we split up on our way out. I almost got out by 7:30, but some Fair guy told the kids the parade was starting in 5 minutes- so we stayed. It was the Mardi Gras parade and the kids were pumped to catch so many beaded necklaces. I have to say it was the most fun I have had with them at the Big E- no meltdowns, no tantrums, not too much whining. Now I just need to go back and go to the other half of the fair I haven't seen this year. Anyone up for a $5 after 5:00 deal in the next week?

I brought the little camera but the battery died after 2 pictures and neither of them are in focus. I did take over Michelle's camera for awhile when I was in charge of watching their stuff. What better way to keep a camera safe than in my sweaty little hands, right? So these are pictures taken by either Michelle or myself on her camera.

Justin and Luke- riding the motorcycles for the 5th time in a row.
Justin coming down the slide! He loved coming down with other kids so they could race. One time he sat up there chatting up the worker while he waited for more people to come.
Jessica and Ben after having gone down the Niagra Falls ride 3 or 4 times.
This picture cracks me up. Anyone that has ever gone anywhere with Justin recently can probably guess what is happening here. If you guessed that Justin is chatting up the Police Officers and asking them if they have caught the bad guys and then telling them that he got a Police costume from Aunt Kathy (and a bunch of other things I didn't catch), all while he is stuffing his face with popcorn- then you are right!

Here I am with the Ferris Wheel crew...

2 comments:

Mrs. Cook said...

You are such a fun mom!! Sounds great. We are headed there this Sunday the kids are so excited!

michelled said...

We loved your company! You are an incredibly fun mom to bring the kids by yourself! Can't wait till next year.