Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Meet Buddy

No we haven't gotten a new cat, at least not intentionally. A few weeks before Bonk died Buddy started showing up and hanging out. I remember that at the end of Justin birthday party he made one of his first arrivals. He is incredibly friendly and outgoing.


Well since we got home from vacation Buddy has begun to hang around much more. We know his name is Buddy because he wears a collar with his name and phone number. Since the weather has been so nice Buddy has just been coming in and out of our house. Ok, we also admit to putting out food for him. Now, Dee has already given us the lecture about stealing someone else's cat finger wagging included. We looked up the number in the reverse directory and Buddy actually belongs to a family on the next street over.

Well his presence has become more constant. One night we were going to bed at 11:00 and found Buddy was sound asleep on our bed- oops. We put him outside and he was none too please about that. Then Saturday night we tried to kick him out when the rain died down, it didn't work. It started to REALLY rain and he was just at our door. We couldn't leave him outside in the rain, right? So he spent the night with us sleeping on our bed.

Now I feel guilty. So I call and leave a message for Buddy's Mommy. I didn't want them to worry that he didn't come home etc. Buddy's mommy calls me back on Sunday night. She says they have had Buddy for about a year but for the past two months he has gone on walk about- leaving for 4 or 5 days at a time. Then she gets these calls from all over the neighborhood- sort of like where's Waldo. People letting her know that Buddy is hanging out with them. She knows people are feeding him (I have a neighbor that left our sardines) so she is not surprised that he enjoys his life "on the road". I mentioned that there have been times that I come inside and he is sound asleep on my couch- "That's Buddy" she says.

Not sure if we are just one of his 5 day vacations, but for now we are enjoying his company and I don't feel quite so guilty about borrowing someone else's cat.

5 comments:

michelled said...

Buddy has passed the torch. I have a feeling this is going to end up being a neat story. Very good of you to call the owner. What a friendly, social cat Buddy is!

Kelly H. said...

I suspect Oreo has a very similar life, but I like to think he loves us best.

Bec Odell said...

Awww...Buddy. I remember him at Justin's party. He is a sweetie. Nothing wrong with kitty borrowing. Especially since the family knows.

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing and called his family. Can you help it if he enjoys your family more than his own? So not your fault. I say let him stay (and make sure you cement that with lots of cat treats)!

Mrs. Cook said...

I think Buddy likes the Hannas best. Does he get bed naps at the other borrowers' homes? Buddy Hanna. I like it.