Thursday, January 1, 2009

And so this is Christmas...

In our family you can't open your presents until after breakfast. You are allowed to enjoy your stocking presents as soon as you wake up but you have to wait to open presents. Well the kids got up at 6:45 am to see their Stocking/ Santa gifts but were having so much fun with those gifts that we didn't even get to breakfast until 9:30. And of course breakfast was Chocolate Cake! um unless you are Justin and you don't really like cake (seriously? how is this kid related to me?) and you choose to eat Cheerios instead. Don't feel too sorry for him he ate almost every piece of candy in his stocking before he even got to the breakfast table. Then we went on to the present opening. Here is Jessica opening one of her first gifts- the Orca webkinz that she really wanted!

On Christmas Eve Jessica wrote a poem for Marc and put it under the tree. Here he is opening it up and reading it.

I am going to take a minute and brag a little about my kids. I don't think I do it very much so indulge me. I have to say they were truly a joy to give to this year. They were genuinely thrilled with every gift they opened, no exceptions, clothes/ toys/ books, everything elicited a squeal and a thank you. They took turns opening their joint presents. Jessica finished first- she is a little quicker- but she just dug in to enjoy her presents. I told Justin that for Christmas I wanted a whole day with no whining or fighting. Justin tried to set me straight that Santa can't put that in a stocking. He tried to let me know that my plan wasn't going happen. Well he was wrong.

It isn't just receiving they love giving too. They bought presents for each other and were so excited to see the other one open their present. Jessica bought Marc and I presents through her school. She came home with wrapped presents at the beginning of the month and kept it secret the entire month- unbelievable. She gave me a beautiful golden horned reindeer, because I like beautiful things. She gave Marc a light up Snowman sculpture because he likes to create snow sculptures in winter. One of the presents they were really excited about was each getting their own wipe board and markers. The first thing Jessica did was write a Thank you message on hers.

Jessica was in love with the DS and Justin got a new gameboy game, so after the presents were opened they settled in to playing. (Marc snuck off to take his annual Christmas nap.)
Later they moved venues and continued to play. I told Jessica since it was Christmas it was an unlimited screen time day- this prompted her to say more than once, "this is the best day EVER!". At one time late in the day I realized the house was VERY quiet. So I went in search of my family. Marc was in the recliner on the laptop playing a game and Jessica and Justin were side by side on the couch with a blanket over their laps each playing on their video games. Too funny.

Here they are during one of their gaming breaks- hiding in the TeePee the Hartzogs gave Justin playing with their new Webkinz.
It was a great day. Very fun. Very relaxing- exactly the Christmas I was hoping to have- a very kid centered day. I just might agree with Jessica Best Christmas EVER!

5 comments:

michelled said...

Hey!!! You changed your blog format! Need to find out how you did that! Love it! When I set my blog up I tried to get rid of the margin but couldn't figure it out. I need to read you entire entry...just got excited for the new format. Also, did you follow MEgan's instructions for increasing pic size???????

michelled said...

Read the post. So glad you had a wonderful Xmas.

Bec Odell said...

I like the new format! I love the matching jams. And that's what I was looking for my glowy tree pic. Next year I'll get some more pointers. Or invite you and your photo skills over - I'll bribe you with wine and wii :)

Anonymous said...

I like the new format too! And I am so thrilled that you all had the Christmas you wanted. Stay in jammies all day for two days -- that sounds like a slice of heaven to me!! (Good plan on the day vs. night jammies, though). My kids may end up with a bit of a personality disorder over that issue because Dave is a "get up and get dressed...because why wouldn't you?" kind of guy...and frequently forces the girls down that path too. I'm a little different! They seem to be siding with me, though. Stay in jammies whenever they can!

michelled said...

How did Buddy do at Christmas? Enjoy the paper and boxes?