Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day in NYC with Jessica

I promised Jessica that as soon as she saved up enough money to by an American Girl Doll we would go into NYC for the day. She saved up enough in February- especially with that $200 prize money she picked up, but we decided to wait until nicer weather to go. We invited Dee to join us. We went last Saturday. We arrived in the city around 10am- parked at our favorite garage which costs $10 for 10 hours as long as you have a ticket stub for a show from that day- brilliant! Dee set off to TKTS to get in line and buy us some half price tickets and Jess and I headed to the AG store. I think Dee is worried this is the only reason we invite her along- but I swear it isn't. Our first choice for a show was of course Little Mermaid, unfortunately they only had single seats available- not ideal. Our second choice was Mary Poppins, even though Dee had already seen it she was more than willing to see it again. Our third choice was Shrek. Well, Dee scored us 3 awesome seats to Mary Poppins. We were 2/3 of the way back in the Orchestra and we could see EVERYTHING- perfect. More on the show later.

Jess and I got the AG store.

I found this funny- intead of a place for your purse in the bathroom stalls they had Doll holders since so many girls bring their dolls with them.

Jessica narrowed down her search pretty quickly- but I made her peruse the whole store. She bought a "Just like me" doll and then she really wanted a dog and a pet carrier. Here she is with her loot.

She couldn't wait and broke out the puppy and carrier when we left the store.

Dee was still in line, thank you Dee. So we headed to Rockefeller Plaza and went to Nintendo world. I promised Justin I would bring him there some day. I am afraid it will disappoint him since by now he has built it up pretty big in his mind. We got him a red Mario baseball cap.

We had lunch at Ellen's Stardust Diner- where the waitstaff break out into songs the whole time. When they sat us the shoved us into a tiny area next to the storage and bathroom. Dee and I were pretty disturbed. But Jessica just said she thought it was so great. We both tried to take a page from her book and see the positive.

Then we headed out to the show. Here are Jess and I in Times Square.

Jess and Dee outside Mary Poppins...

The show was great. The seats were awesome and you know I love only paying 1/2 of what the sucker sitting next to me did (well on one side anyway, apparently the people next to Dee were in front of her in the TKTS line). It threw me off that many of the songs are different than the movie ones I know by heart. Jessica loved it all. She laughed out loud many times and cheered and clapped. When Mary flys off she went right over our head and Jessica screamed with excitement. In fact the sound that came out of her mouth was so loud that Dee was looking around trying to figure out where it was coming from and then burst into laughter when she realized that was coming out of Jessica's mouth. Jessica loves a standing ovation and gave Dee and I the "I'm so disappointed in you look" when we did not get to our feet immediately. We loved it.

As we headed back to our car we realized that 10 blocks of 6th Avenue were completely blocked off for a street fair- woo hoo- love a good street fair. Here and Dee and Jess standing in the middle of a New York City street!

Jessica bought a bright pink Pashmina scarf for $5- she thought she was the bomb! Here she is checking out $2 jewelry wearing her spiffy scarf.

Jessica LOVES NYC and can't wait to go back. I told Justin I would bring him soon. But for him, everything is better with Jessica so he wants to go with her sometime. Jessica, LOVES getting one on one time with the grownups in her life. But she will happily return to NYC even if it is with Justin.

6 comments:

dee said...

Totally fun day! I did just totally love when Jess squealed with delight! It was the best! Oh and for the record I did not mind standing in line. I would happily (happily!!) give up the American Girl Store to watch the people on the NYC streets!

michelled said...

You are so getting a dog at some point in your life. Maybe it'll be a stray like Buddy.

That looked like such a fun day!! I can't believe that it might be ME someday!! (insert squeal)

Heather said...

This post made me a little teary. (In a good way) Jessica is one lucky little girl.

Mrs. Cook said...

Awesome!! Isn't Mary Poppins the BEST?? We loved it too. Jessica looks thrilled in these pics - great day for the ladies!!

Kristin said...

The girls, my parents and I are headed to NYC in a couple of weeks. We'll have to keep Mary Poppins in mind (if my father can handle it!!).

I'll be calling you in the next few days!

Kelly H. said...

How fun! Going to NYC with people who know what they are doing is the best. Well done on your planning and happy accidents (street fair).