Friday, February 4, 2011

Weekend at Frost Valley

Labor Day Weekend Frost Valley YMCA hosted an Alumni Reunion. Unfortunately it was mostly a summer camp Alumni- but that is still fun too. Truth be told our last few weekends at Frost Valley were less than what we were hoping to experience. Perhaps as former staff our hopes are too high. In general my biggest complaint, besides the high price, is that the staff have been less than friendly and really left a bad taste in my mouth. Having run these weekends for years I know the value of the staff, I know that they make or break the weekend for guests- but somewhere along the way that message was lost. When this weekend came up I had no interest in going back (and yes that makes me sad). Marc had to practically beg me to return and I reluctantly agreed. We were excited when we heard the summer camp director had a strong hand in planning the weekend- we really like him and he "gets" it. [sidenote: he has since left the Valley- sigh]. We decided to give it a go again. It was fun seeing all of our old friends and meeting their children.

They made sure to include lots of Summer Camp Classics- like the newspaper fashion show!


Aunt Meg came up too! We didn't tell the kids she was going to be there- so they were pretty surprised.

Jessica loves going across the cable bridge- Justin, not so much, he has yet to try.

We were introduced to the game Sleeping Queens. Justin watched and learned how to play for over an hour. And then hounded me to buy the game that I finally purchased it from my phone on the way home. He was very excited at its arrival later in the week.
We played Bombardment. I have never really been clear on how bombardment is played. Basically it is Dodge Ball. It was more of a boys village kind of thing. Marc took Jessica out on the court with him and she had a blast.
Then the grown ups gave up the court to the little kids so they could play.
...and you can guess how that turned out...
We played Geranimo! [well we tried to but Al Filreis was leading it and he only called on his "pets" so it meant my kid sat their almost the entire time. yeah that is fun! not. luckily she is a good sport. But would it have killed the man to at least call out Geranimo occasionally so that everyone could get up and run???? ok- rant over]
We had a nice time- mostly. I am leaving off my altercation with the self rightous staff member who told me I was forcing my child to do something and I had to let her know that I was encouraging her and she should try that some time- oops guess I did bring it up.

I don't think we will be back in the next few years. For now, at half the price and twice the fun we are sticking with Camp Jewell!

No comments: