Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fun day at Camp Jewell

About a month ago we received a flyer from Camp Jewell YMCA inviting Alumni and their family to come and spend the afternoon last Sunday for free. Well this was a no-brainer for us. Camp Jewell was the first camp that I worked at in addition to holding many childhood memories as well. Marc has never been to Jewell before and since it is only an hour and a half away we have been talking about going there for family camp, maybe Memorial Day Weekend if possible. The kids had such a great time at Frost Valley we thought they would enjoy spending the day at Jewell as well- and we were right. First up the Tubing Hill. There are 4 different runs going down the hill. Justin was fearless once we pointed out, what we believed was the scariest run, he kept going down that run over and over. He even gleefully talked perfect strangers into going down that run. So here is Jessica all suited up.

Do you see that speck on the bottom of the hill? That is Justin.

As always the walk up the hill is the hardest part. Remember that stranger Justin talked into going down the scary run? Well then he sweet talked her into pulling his tube up the hill. But wait that is not all... then he jumped in the tube and said "wheeeee" and pretended to be driving the tube- do you know what? She pulled her tube, his tube and HIM up that hill- that kid kills me. They had tandem tubes as well- Jessica loved going down the hill with me, and then she loved that I hauled the tube up the hill. I have to give them credit though, both kids pulled their tubes up the every other time.

We also spent some time in Boulder Basin...

We went to the Candle Corner and made candles.

Justin took the instructions pretty seriously. One second in the wax and 3 in the water. So even after he subcontracted Marc to finish the candle he still counted for him- VERY LOUDLY and criticized Marc when he erred. See the other guy in this pic? That is Mo Barton one of the few people still at Jewell that was there 18 years ago when I worked there.

Actually there were two other people that were campers when I was a counselor and remembered me- one of them is the Camp Director now. I felt old!

We took a quick trip over the bridge to Chapel Island- Justin actually stopped and looked at me for this picture.
Jessica was such a trooper and wanted to try everything. She and I went to go snowshoeing. She really enjoyed that- we didn't do too much just a little track.

Then we tried Cross Country Skiing.
The staff member was so nice, helpful and encouraging.
Even Justin gave it a shot!
Jessica makes me laugh. She was such a good sport. She kept falling down (she will tell you she fell once). I was behind her and she kept saying, "this is my first time on skis, I am really good. I can't believe how good I am." The staff member didn't help the situation by calling Jess a "pro". There was a very slight hill on the trail we went on, and now she thinks she has gone downhill skiing too. We had a great day and we were all wiped out upon returning home- ok I was really wiped out- phew.

The kids had a great time and asked if we can go back for an overnight some time. Definitely!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

How cool! So wonderful that you can take them back to special places like that -- and what great activities!

Anonymous said...

Very Fun! You made me have a Camp Jewell memory I forgot about. I used to do my Night Hikes (uh...not alot of hiking) on that little island at Jewell. Since I was a sub there it was an easy place not to get lost!

Heather said...

Awww, Great post! I loved seeing the pictures of Jewell. I have such good memories of there. Of course I have to introduce myself to any old-timer as "Jeff Renshaw's sister" for them to remember me. Some things never change. :) I hope to take my kids there someday too.