Thursday, February 12, 2009

Watching American Idol with Jessica

So my mom got Jessica into watching American Idol last year. I had lost interest in the show a few seasons ago but recorded it for Jessica. Jess was excited to start watching this year, I told her once they got to Hollywood I would start recording it for her. I really don't like watching those early audition shows where they spend 45 minutes with bad singers, making fun of them and insulting them and then 15 minutes on the people that can actually sing- anyway didn't want Jessica to see that.

Which brings us to this year of AI. We enjoyed watching Hollywood week. We don't like Tatiana- annoying laugh and so dramatic. I loved that when one girl cursed out another girl and it was beeped out Jessica guessed the one girl said "I hate you"- because that was the worst thing Jessica could imagine the person saying.

Tonight we watched last night's episode where they decide the final 36. We were really routing for the best friends, we liked both of them very much. When one friend made it through and the other did not we were so sad. Jessica says, "Mommy I am so sad that he didn't make it", I was tearing up behind her so she didn't see me. I told her I was sad too. Then she says, "I think I am going to cry", I told her it was ok I was feeling the same way and she started really crying. We are such saps. Marc joined us for the last 15 minutes. It was a sing off between two contestants. Marc says, "well that was horrible" (he was so wrong). Jessica turns and says to me, "Daddy just doesn't understand music like us girls". She makes me smile.

On another note. Jessica and I went to the library to return our big pile of books and get some more. She was beyond ecstatic when she realized the library now had the newest series of the Rainbow fairies books- the Petal Fairies. Of course it seems some other children have also found this out so only 2 of the books were there. She COULD NOT WAIT to get home and start reading. She zoomed through her homework. Got all sorts of excited when I told her she should go to bed early. Got into her pajamas super fast and sat on the couch reading until bedtime. We brought her up to bed at 8pm and she admits to not turning out her light until 9:25pm because she was reading, finished a book she had already started, finished the first of the petal fairies books, and almost finished the second one. Love that she LOVES reading- wish she would get to sleep a little earlier.

Anyone looking for a slam dunk birthday present for Jessica should pick up the next series of this book- the musical instrument fairies- pretty sure it is being published this month.

1 comment:

Kelly H. said...

Dibs on the Fairy books.

I'm so happy I have another sap to cry with as I get older. Yeah!! Neil and I are watching Idol too, so we'll have LOTS to talk about next time we see her!