Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bad Parenting Moment

So we went to Jack's birthday party at the Canoe Club. It was an overcast and slightly chilly day. I knew I was instructed to bring bathing suits, but since it wasn't that kind of day I just forgot. I felt so bad. The kids were in the river, using their water shooter things and my kids couldn't participate. I had no extra clothes in my car- nothing- so they had nothing to change into if they got wet and it was chilly. They were so bummed. Jessica went out onto the boat and had fun. But I could tell it was killing Justin. I felt horrible. I hate when that happens. When you feel like you failed them. They were pretty good about it- Justin was not giving me a hard time. Finally half way through Justin turns to me and says, "please can I get wet?" So finally I agreed. We ended up stripping him down to his skivvies. He couldn't have cared less- he was so happy to join in the fun. Jessica was still bummed and didn't quite understand why I wouldn't let her do that. Here he is- smiling for Becky- SO HAPPY. Smiling for pictures is new and while I could do without the strained look on his face I am enjoying not having him yell at me and turn away.

No comments: