Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Today is my Birthday

Today is my 38th birthday. Yeah yeah thanks. Anyway I already know how I want to celebrate my 40th birthday in two years. I am putting this out there so that if you want to come with me you can prepare now. I am going on an Outlander tour of Scotland. What, you say? What is she talking about?

First of all let me tell you a little bit about The Outlander. It is a book written by Diana Gabaldon. I first heard about the series from my college friend Sharon. She was in love with the books and Scotland, having spent her junior year in Edinburgh. I remember thinking I wanted to read the books she mentioned but never followed through- shocking. Then when I was visiting my sister in 2005 after Ryan was born I saw she owned them all and was thrilled for me to read them too.

The series begins in Scotland in the 1940s, but it is not long before Claire- our heroine- slips "through the rocks" and goes back in time. I love a good time travel novel, I love historical fiction, and I love a good romance- this book has all three. Beware it is a LONG book, all of them are around 1,000 pages. I will also say it is a little tough to get into. The first 150 pages drag but are necessary to set up the premise and character. After that though it wizzes along.

Here is the deal. I invite anyone that has read at least the first book to come with me. It will most likely be a "girl" trip since someone has to stay home with the kids. That is not to say that men aren't welcome just letting you know. We will probably go in September 2010, kids in school and weather will still be nice. Get reading folks!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I have read them -I am in! Do you think we will meet Jamie? ;)

Bec Odell said...

Happy Bday!!! Good thing you included a link. Just to clarify - read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon NOT The Outlander by Gil Adamson. That was the book my mom was reading at the same time I was reading the REAL Outlander. Took us many confused conversations to realize we were not reading the same book.

PS - Dee, we will totally find Jamie. We're going through the stones, right?

michelled said...

Happy birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm back in school in September too, is the thing. Can't convince you of early August, huh? Blisteringly hot in New England (to say nothing of Kansas). Fly off to much cooler Scotland? Give all those grandparents a chance to bond even more with their grandchildren??

Maybe I could just cancel a week (are we talking about a week-long trip?) of classes and say it's because I'm going on a historical tour. (Nevermind that it's historical fiction OR that I teach CHINESE history).

Mrs. Cook said...

Happy Birthday Deb!! I will add the series to the stack on the nightstand!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Deb (a bit late, sorry). I'd love to join you on your trip. Seriously! It's like Italy 1985 all over again, right?!
Have a great day, bud.