Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Jessica age 3!

There are two things I think of when I think of Jessica at age 3. The first was her smile for the camera. It was a diagonal smirk and often included one eye closed. The second thing was this huge mane of hair that she had. Marc did not like to have her hair cut. He used to growl at my friend Karen when she came over to cut her hair. So we were left with this huge knotty tangled mess most of the time. This picture captures both of those things.

Then a few months after she turned 3 Jessica took matters into her own hands and cut 6 inches off the side of her hair. Here she is quite proud of her handiwork.

Then end result after I rushed her to Karen for hair 911.

Here is my cutie, her hair slowly growing out in the fall.

I found this picture in the January folder which means she was only 2 month away from turning 4. a) it is clear my photography hobby has begun because there is a backdrop and b) Marc was losing the short hair debate in our house at this time.

Now seeing the above picture as it was, SOOC (straight out of camera for you non-photog types), was tough for me. I have come along way in my processing of photos so I had a go at it with my 2009 skills. What do you think? Taking the picture is only part of the puzzle- knowing what to do with it also plays just as an important role.

Black and White anyone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool comparison, Deb. I like seeing how the SOOC shot compares with the reworked shot. Of course, as a non-photographer type, I have no idea what you did to get the second photograph to look the way that it does. (The art history major in me could *describe* it to you, however.) What exactly do you do when you are reworking the photograph, or would this betray a bunch of photography secrets you are not allowed to divulge? =)

Kelly H. said...

That's excellent. I also saw flash (gasp) in one of the early ones. I think I could continue being a mediocre photographer if I could kick up my PP skills.

I still cringe when I see that pile of beautiful hair. She did look awfully proud of herself...

michelled said...

Mark didn't like the hair cuts, but did he take a turn brushing out the tangles?

Jessica is one of the cutest and sweetest humans on this earth.

Great 2009 redo on that pic.