Thursday, April 2, 2009

A day with Grandmommy

Justin had a great day with Grandmommy on Tuesday. She picked him up in the morning and off they went for an adventure filled day- as far as Justin is concerned there is no such thing as too busy- so he was very pleased with the day they had planned.

This is Mom's account of their day and I thought I would share it with everyone (hope that is ok Mom):

Justin and I had a great day yesterday. I love the way he thinks--wrestling with something until it makes sense to him. "Why does Cat Woman have a whip?" was the question of the day. Finally, he figured it out: because she doesn't have a tail, and cats are supposed to have tails. Makes sense.
He wrote his name with the "s" backwards. It doesn't matter, because if you turn the page upside down, it's right. But then, the "j" looks like a hook, but then you just turn the page around again. So, he demonstrates, that his name is fine if you just swirl the page around fast.
Every "ah ha" moment, was punctuated by the Indiana Jones theme song, DA da duh DA, Da da duh.....
While walking in the reservoir, Justin invited me to skip rocks--his way. First, you choose a rock which is the biggest you can hold in one hand. BUT, it has to fit into your sweatshirt pocket. Then you throw it on the road to produce a bounce (skip). The object is to skip it into a puddle. The best skip, lands in a puddle and skips out. DA da da duh, Da da duh .
Then, you put the rock in your sweatshirt pocket to get dry. His sweatshirt, loaded down with heavy rocks stretched down to his knees as he stumbled forward. IF the rock wasn't yet dry, no skipping, even if the puddle was a really good one.
At Justin's request, we went to the Rainforest Cafe for lunch. After sitting down, I reminded him that every now and then the animals come awake and sometimes it sounds like a rainstorm. That last bit, the rainstorm, caught him by surprise, and he was very nervous. So, he said we should just keep walking around looking at the animals so they wouldn't bring our food, and then the rain wouldn't come. Much persuasion on my part convinced him that arrival of food and rain were completely unrelated. Guess when the next rain came? Just as our food came!! He gave me such a look.
We walked the labyrinth in front of First Congregational and went to our new library. He worked his way through a computer game of Candyland. When he was done, he turned around to see a group of boys probably aged 3-5 . Justin said to them, "Did you see that?" The admiring group of West Hartford little white boys, "ya, that was awesome, bro" DA da da DA, da da duh.
I drove through Hartford to meet you, and pointed out the gold domed building where they make the laws for Connecticut. He asked me if I ever made laws there, and when I said no, he asked why. My answer was that because no one voted for me. Why not? So, I started over, explaining that people in my neighborhood could vote for who would make the laws. Someone would say, I want to make laws, and someone else would say I want to make laws. Then, the people in my neighborhood would vote.What interested him in this was what if no one else wanted to make the laws, then everybody would vote for me (Grandmommy).
Love this kid!

After received this email yesterday Marc decided to try out Justin's theory. So every time he did something at work he then said to himself- Da da da DUH Da da DUH. I think Mom thinks he was teasing but he claims he really did do it and it changed his whole approach to his day. I am going to try it today- you should too. Made Jessica's lunch: Da da da DUH Da da DUH! you get the idea. Oh gotta go to the busstop... Da da da DUH Da da DUH!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hmmm...should I do DA da duh DA, Da da duh when I make a really good point to my students during class today? Will it help or hurt my teaching evaluations at the end of the semester?

Those college students can be SO unpredictable!

Kelly H. said...

I'm totally doing this tonight. Hey, I pressed the garlic...da da da dah, duh da DUH...