Monday, April 6, 2009

Sweet Sandy

Anyone who has ever met Marc's sister Sheri- Aunt Sheri as she is known around here, has also most likely met her dog Sandy. I remarked to Marc just yesterday that a better name for Sandy would have been Shadow since she follows Sheri everywhere. They are best buds and true companions. I am not a dog person- no surprise for my blog readers, but I admit to enjoying Sandy's company. Mostly she doesn't do that annoying barking whenever anyone comes to your house thing. Jessica is admittedly hesitant and a little skittish around most dogs- but not Sandy.

So you are wondering why I bring all of this up. Aunt Sheri got some sad news today about Sandy. It seems she has a mass that has grown in her nasal cavity. While the results are not back yet from the biopsy the outcome is most likely not good, and this makes us all sad. As I was talking to Sheri tonight we were sharing stories about Sandy and I decided to pull up a few pictures.

After Justin was born Sheri came and spent the week the first week with us. Jessica was so excited. One of her favorite things to do is run in the backyard with Sandy. The only time I have heard Sandy bark is at Marc during these running in the backyard sessions. This picture was taken in October of 2003. This picture makes her look far more ferocious than she is in reality- if you look at Jessica's face it is clear that Sandy poses no threat.

When Sheri came back in October and we took some pictures in the leaf pile- wouldn't be a family shot without Sandy.

Sandy's favorite place to sit at Grandma and Grandpa's house is this little rug by the door. She is so patient with both kids. When Jessica was little she even allowed us to put Jessica's socks on her feet- I think because Sheri asked her to sit still.

I think we have MANY pictures over the years of Jessica posing with Sandy as well as Meg's two dogs.


I haven't told the kids yet. I will wait until we know a little more. They love Sandy (and Sheri) very much. Sheri always jokes that the kids wouldn't recognize her if she visited without Sandy. I don't think that is true but I do know they look for Sandy as soon as Sheri gets out of the car. We love you both!

5 comments:

michelled said...

Ugh - you know me...the dog person. So sorry. Very interesting...my sister's awesome dog, Chance, was just diagnosed with the same exact thing. Unfortunately, the test results were not good, but it is slow-growing and she hopes to have him around a long while.

Sheri said...

Deb, Thanks for the post. It is comforting to know that she is very special to others as well. To keep myself busy last night since I couldn't sleep, I washed all of her dog blankets/beds and stuffed bear, and gave Stella a very stern lecture about not tormenting the dog when she comes home this afternoon.

manj said...

another dog person chiming in here... Sandy looks like a total sweetheart! I'm thinking good thoughts for her and for Sheri. Waiting for the results is the worst part. Hang in there.

Marc said...

When our kids go through their list of relatives, it's Aunt Meg, Aunt Sheri, Aunt Sandy, etc, ..........

Heather said...

So sorry. I am getting teary and I have never even met her. I hope the test results are better than expected.